Hello there everybody! Apologies the lack thereof posts in the Interview of the day section, there’s been a few things out of my control lately that I’ve been dealing with but now that’s all out the way the blog can resume as it should be!
Today for us we introduce you to a band which blends ambient dream scapes with dark pop rock hooks and soulful vocals that pack a dissonant punch. That band is Fox Violet. Their lyrics examine homelessness, disassociation, longing and our cultural obsession with fairy tales. With soaring layered psychedelic guitars and crunchy synths Fox Violet crafts bold stories that are ethereal, relatable and raw which makes them one of the most exciting bands on the rise right now.
- Could you please introduce yourself for us? My name is Thea, I am in the project Fox Violet, an ambient indie rock project based out of LA.
- How long have you been playing? I have been in this project 4 years, and singing my whole life. This version of Fox Violet continues to evolve into a new sound which I’m excited about.
- What three words would you use to describe the music you play? Ambient. Raw. Gritty
- What are your musical influences? I have a lot of great influences specifically PJ Harvey, she had such an impact on me vocally and melodically growing up, but also in her give no s**t attitude. She combines this fierce and fragile nature that really appeals to me. I also love bands like The National, and Portishead, Nirvana and so many others. It’s all about the song for me any day of the week. Lately I have been digging back into the 70s. I love the epic-ness of songs like “Nights in White Satin” by The Moody Blues.
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen during a show? I once saw adults dressed in bunny costumes, I have to say that was hilarious.
- Being away from the stages since last year, where is the one place you’d visit when the restrictions are lifted? Great question! I would say I would love to go to the Greek Theatre and just be fully immersed actually by an orchestra, I want it to be huge and transcendental.
- What’s the one record you own but wouldn’t ever admit to owning? Haha! I have to say there isn’t anything I’m embarrassed to own, all music has an impact on you and connects you back to yourself. It’s all story telling and different parts of the story of being human. I really love any music I own and only just recently started collecting Vinyl again. Lately I have been listening to a lot of The Rolling Stones.
- What have you been listening in the last few weeks? Currently I’m re-listening to all of the Beatles and a ton of early 60s/70s artists like Jimi Hendrix, trying to soak up all of those intense guitar parts.
- .Are there any releases you have planned in the near future? Yes! I have a single coming out on August 6th called “Long Way Down,” followed by an album PRISMS late august.
Be sure to check out Fox Violet’s latest release, their fantastic single, ‘Long Way Down’ below.