- If you could introduce yourselves for us; who are you?
We are Elephant Takedown; a hard rock and punk band from Cambridge ready to tear some doors down and blow up some speakers.
- How did you all meet?
It’s been a long road. Phil was a friend and colleague of my (Alex’s) partner, and while out for a meal with mutual friends got talking about how we both wanted to do some music but hadn’t had a band in years. That was when it all began. We had a jam session, but wanted drums. Simon joined us the very next week after we threw an advert out into the murk. For the rest of 2019, it was just the three of us, while vocalists came and went until Ben joined us. His voice really finalised our sound. From then on we’ve been unstoppable.
- How long have you been playing?
As a band? Since December 2019. As individuals, between 10 and 15 years each.
- What three words would you use to describe the music you play?
Musical Human Observation
- What are your musical influences?
The main ones are probably Shinedown, Foo Fighters, and Nirvana, but we all have our own tastes that don’t align so well. My love of Periphery doesn’t align with Phil’s love of Black Sabbath, but that’s what makes us sound how we sound.
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen during a show?
The guitarist of one of the bands we were supporting was in the crowd, and they were with their partner. Given the music that was being played, and that it was not a dense crowd, everyone got a good show of them bumping and grinding. At least they had fun though!
- Being away from the stages since last year, where is the one place you’d visit when the restrictions are lifted?
Andertons Music Store in Guildford. Heaven for us. It’s where we go on road trips. Play guitars all morning, pub lunch, make a purchase in the afternoon, drive home listening to loud music.
- What’s the one record you own but wouldn’t ever admit to owning?
Can’t say I have one myself, anything worth listening to is worth sharing, right? LIttle Big is something of a guilty pleasure though, and Ben will agree, their music slaps.
- What have you been listening to in the last few weeks?
Ben, Simon, and I all recently discovered a love of Kid Kapichi. If you haven’t heard of them, go and listen to New England, and their album This Time Next Year… at a minimum. Aside from that, Four Year Strong’s deluxe edition of Brain Pain, and Trash Boat’s latest album Don’t You Feel Amazing?
- Are there any releases you have planned in the near future?
Oooooh yes. Keep a close eye on us. We’ve got some very big announcements coming up in terms of new music.
Follow Elephant Takedown via: