1. If could introduce yourselves for us, who are you?
My name is Katelyn Benton and I’m a singer, pianist, and songwriter in Los Angeles, CA.
2. How long have you been playing?
I’ve essentially been playing my whole life! I began playing the piano before I was in kindergarten, and have played throughout my whole life, beginning with classical and then writing my own music starting at around 10-11 years of age. I played my first gig at 12 years old, and began playing professionally as a pianist at 13. By the time I was in high school I had an affidavit to play in 21+ venues, and played out regularly with my band and with other, more established mentors.
3. What three words would you use to describe the music you play?
Thoughtful, dreamy, cinematic
4. What are your musical influences?
As a classical pianist, I’ve been heavily influenced by composers like Chopin and Debussy, and if you listen closely to my songs you’ll hear fairly intricate piano features. Growing up on Disney I’d also say there’s subtle influence there. When I began writing music I was inspired by other singing pianists like Carol King, Ben Folds, and Fiona Apple.
5. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen during a show?
At the end of one set, the sound guy came up to me and asked if I was a therapist. Then he told me he was glad I wasn’t his girlfriend. I’m not sure what to make of that, but I found it fairly amusing.
6. Being away from the stages in the last few years, where was the first place you visited when the restrictions were lifted?
Here in Los Angeles, restrictions remained in place for quite a while. But as soon as my friends and I were vaccinated, we met up for a picnic and got to see each other’s faces and give each other hugs for the first time in over a year, and that was really special. I also booked tickets to see my family in Louisiana and Colorado. It was hard being away from them for so long. I’m really tight with my siblings and their kids, so getting to see them was a huge priority.
7. What’s the one record you own but wouldn’t ever admit to owning? I’m not really sheepish about my musical taste. I like a lot of everything, and haven’t been made fun of for my music taste since I was a kid and loved Hanson. I do own a laser disc though. I bought it on accident thinking it was a record, and to be honest, I still don’t know what a laser disc is.
8. What have you been listening in the last few weeks?
I’m late to the Maggie Rogers train and am in a full on love affair with her music now. I also recently was introduced to the band The Avalanches at Coachella and have been playing them to anyone who will listen.
9. Are there any releases you have planned in the near future?
I have several more songs in the cannon. Hoping to release more as soon as possible!