- If could introduce yourselves for us, who are you?
I’m Kyle Chatham. I’m an artist/singer songwriter/ musician originally from the West Coast of Scotland now based in South London.
2. How long have you been playing?
I’ve been playing music in some form or another for most of my life. I started on drums when I was about 5 years old which progressed to guitar and singing around the age of 10 and writing came shortly after. When I got into production in my mid to late teens that’s when my writing really progressed and experimented with different forms to come to where I am now.
3. What three words would you use to describe the music you play?
Ethereal, Dark and Melancholic
4. What are your musical influences?
I grew up on 90s alt rock mainly like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and other bands of that time. They’re still a big influence on me but now it’s probably more things like Ben Howard, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean, James Blake and King Krule that influence me more. Everything I listen to has an effect in some way though. I’m constantly experimenting.
5. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen during a show?
My first show under my own solo music had a crowd of underage uninterested drunk teenagers, one of which was sick all over the middle of the hall floor. It descended into a small riot of thrown tables and chairs as the police showed up to shut the show down.
6. Being away from the stages since last year, where is the one place you’d visit when the restrictions are lifted?
If you mean musically, I’m up for seeing any live music after it’s been gone for so long. I was lucky enough to catch Ben Howard in London a couple of times last year which was a real privilege to witness the spectacle of it all again.
7. What’s the one record you own but wouldn’t ever admit to owning?
If I wouldn’t admit to it… surely I wouldn’t tell you? Luckily I’m not ashamed to admit anything like that. I’m not sure what would be the most surprising though. I’ve inherited a few records like Human League’s DARE and I think an ACDC record or two. Don’t think I’ve spun either of them yet though…
8. What have you been listening in the last few weeks?
I’ve been enjoying the new Black Country, New Road album and dipped back to Endless by Frank Ocean recently too.
9. Are there any releases you have planned in the near future?
Yeah, I have a single out at the end of March titled “Once More Round Your Heart”. Keep an eye out for that one!
Before ‘Once More Round Your Heart’ drops check out ‘Valentine’ below.
Follow Kyle Chatham via: